Monday, November 2, 2020

 Election Eve, 2020.  Letter to a loved one.

I've known you most of my life.  I love you dearly, and long for conversations about what's most important--living the way of love.

I've read many of your posts and chosen not to respond because I value our relationship more than I value trying to prove I'm "right." I long for a relationship that allows freedom for respectful dialogue as well as diversity of thought and action.

I, too, love this country, our Constitution, the rule of law, and our people--all. I value truth, peace, and freedom. I attempt to read wisely and research carefully. I want to listen to and learn from a plethora of voices. I try to watch behaviors, evaluate consequences, think critically, and yes, I have voted.

I've come to far different conclusions than you have based on many variables, including what I've heard straight from the president's own mouth, his unedited, "straight talk". 

I've read his tweets, full of ridicule and name-calling. His actions have  often shouted even louder than his words. 

 I don't want to hate him, and I pray God will purge me of any hate I may not recognize. You often reference how the Democrats are filled with hate, as if you know the heart. You don't. 

 I feel immense pity for the man and wonder how he became the person he is. How he speaks about others and  how he treats people he pledged to serve--including Democrats--brings me to far different conclusions than you've arrived at. 

This is not "fake news". 

 For me, it's been impossible not to see.  I cannot in good conscience plug my ears and excuse his offensive rhetoric. It tangibly hurts people and inspires others to shout the same rhetoric, perpetuating cycles of division. 

I cannot close my eyes and dismiss bullying that wounds the soul of our children--and our country. 

I cannot dismiss a multitude of documented lies that at best diminishes but more often invalidates any utterance of a truth. 

It sounds from one of your recent copy and paste posts on Facebook that the conspiracies you espouse define how you see people such as me and my husband and  others who love you. 

We are not your enemy.

 The tone of posts such as yours insinuates blame, accusation, ridicule, and contempt. How does this help? Of course you're entitled to your opinions and can post what you choose. 

And yes, sources matter. 

You get to vote, as do millions of Americans. To judge others such as myself as stupid, foolish, or deluded seems counterproductive to a "united" country (descriptors you've used in recent posts). 

Whatever tomorrow brings, I pray for us to recognize the reality that many will be scared, angry, terrified, and saddened, while many others will correspondingly be elated, jubilant, relieved, ecstatic, and triumphant in "victory."

Today we don't know which group either of us will be in. Whatever the case, instead of gloating in victory or despairing in loss, my hope and prayer is that each of us humbly help heal the wounds that divide. 

You may think of us as as exceptions within a massive group of liberals. You may think of us as an isolated minority.  We're not. There are multitudes of kind, caring, thoughtful, and even Christian citizens of this country who share these convictions. 

We've been on the receiving end of your love many a time, and I know you care. You've known us as your trustworthy and truthful fans. 

I beg you to open  your mind and your heart to others who perceive a different world than what you see.

 May we be liberal in our love for all. 

We are not your enemy. 

We are your family, your friends, your loved ones

2 comments:

  1. My beloved sister writes and speaks from the heart.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is so beautiful. Thank you for your wisdom and your eloquence. You are such a wonderful soul..

    ReplyDelete