Saturday, January 31, 2015

GRAND

"Grand."  A word used to describe events, scenery, pianos, places, positions, a jury, and even a thousand dollars.  There's the Grand Canyon and a grand slam and the Grand Prix and  Grand Tetons and a grand finale.

The word connotes something large. Something impressive. Something out of the ordinary. Something that "wows" the senses and captures the heart.

Though grand these may be, they're nothing in comparison to the "Grand" in my life.   Grandchildren. Two Girls.  Two Boys.  They "wow" me in ways  I never dreamed possible. I am blessed beyond measure. I count the days till I see them, and when I do,  I want to stop the clock for awhile.

Today was one of those days. I spent a few (too) short hours with Magdelana, 7, and Johannes, 4.  I arrived at the specified meeting place a few minutes before they arrived with their Daddy, my son. He jumped out to greet me, stealthily letting me know they were "asleep" in the car. I peeked in "Ohhhh....maybe I better go home. They're sleeping." I heard a giggle, then another, and another, and soon, uproarious laughter. They had "tricked" me. Kisses and hugs. Goodbyes to their Daddy and off he drove. Just us. The day began.

No fancy plans this time. Just time together, planning as we went.  Making memories. Good ones. A stop at Panera Bread for bagels and fruit (A young couple sitting at an adjacent table eyed us. She smiled. "I love children." Always nice to share space with kind people!). Barnes and Noble to choose a book (Ivy and Bean for Magdelana. Star Wars with a souvenir Lego for Johannes). A stop by Great Harvest Bread (delicious samples of cinnamon bread. Two loaves to take home). Taking a surprise treat  from Panera Bread to Auntie Meilani and friend Ranee' at the conference office. Playing on the play equipment at Gladstone (We sailed the oceans to a far-away country, with Captain Magdelana navigating and First Mate Johannes watching for pirates. Johannes fell overboard, a shark ate his leg, and he replaced it with a wooden one). Stopping by Home Depot (had a  spare key made, but couldn't leave without a roll of orange duct tape  for  creative pursuits imagined by Johannes). Meeting up with their Daddy who treated us to lunch at Baja Fresh.

Then came the good-byes. They begged me to come to their home. I promised I will soon. Good byes take awhile. Hugs and squeezes. Multiplied.  I've begun counting the days....again.

Driving home, I thought of 4-year old Stella. I reminisced about my trip to her home a couple weeks ago. Seeing her love for Tom the Cat and Conan Seahorse, her puppy, watching her fearlessly grab a chicken from the hen house and hug it to her heart. Hearing her chatter and seeing her delight as she "helped" her Mommy and Daddy.

Next I thought of the newest one, the Little Man, who I know only by the shape of his Mommy's belly and her recounting of his movement within. "He's an active one!"  I love him already, and can hardly wait to meet him. Less that nine weeks!

GRAND!  Grandchildren. Truer words never spoken.

There's no one quite like Auntie Meilani!
Great Harvest samples. Yum!

Heading into Barnes and Noble.

Captain Magdelana takes us on many adventures!

No comments:

Post a Comment